Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hmmm... repetition?

I don't want to say the same thing over and over. Its hard to know what I write about or already wrote about sometimes because I don't plan it in advance, and when I'm posting I can't really see more than 10 lines of what I've written. Which seems like a lot, but isn't really. It is definitely enough to lose yourself, and what you meant to say.

I was talking to someone else about this project, and the problem of the hugeness and volume of the words that I was/ am trying to sift through, and he was talking about how he thinks of blogs, and because there are so many, they cannot be unique, so people begin to write in tropes. This makes the blogs repeat themselves in many contexts. Or become replicates. So the problem of the sheer volume goes away in the cookie-cutter mentality (you've looked at one, you've looked at them all, and you don't have to read that many to know what they're "like" because they're all the same.) I thought about it for awhile, and I couldn't decide if it made me feel better, or worse. Perhaps this problem of reading I've been having isn't as much of a problem as I thought: if they're all the same, then it doesn't matter if you read them all or not, and close reading doesn't apply in this case.

But really, in the end you still have to read them all by themselves because they all exist by themselves. Its almost like Borges's library. In the story, there are an infinite number of books, and two books could be almost exactly the same, save one or two letters... and that would make a whole new book. So though it might not be about reading them all, but that many exist, and you can't get around that. They take up that much space. That seems like an important feature, that (whether or not they are all good writing) they all still exist somewhere. I guess I mean that the idea that they are all the same just doesn't help me out a lot in not feeling overwhelemed by them, because how can you know anything about them until you've read a lot of them. But how do you do that without them becoming obsolete, or the number of them doubling, or being able to keep up? I guess the assumption that they become similar still rests on some level of mastery, which is the thing I'm struggling with. It becomes a circular argument for me... but maybe that's just me.

No comments: