Sunday, May 6, 2007

being a blogger

I wonder how much being a blogger means in the context of people's identities. Do people think of themselves as "bloggers"? Am I a blogger? The reason I'm thinking about this is because I've read several people's blogs of late where they too, comment about being a 'bad' blogger because they haven't been posting a lot, or their posts have been really short. Granted these are people who have Blogs with a capital 'B'... with things on the side like blogrolls and hit counts, and really cool graphics on their page, where a lot of people comment, and they have their own domain name. Like casey.com. I don't know how to do any of those things... does that make me a bad blogger? I don't really think so, but the most impressive blogs I've seen and bothered to read more than the first few entries or so, are much more graphically involved than mine. Does that just reflect a certain DIY computer savviness that I don't posess, or does it mean something more about how those people (rather than say, the average blog or livejournal user who is content with the templates and posting mechanisms given) incorporate their blogs as part of who they are? I guess I'm wondering because I've heard of people talking about their blogs like a house... is the graphical interface part of the outside or the inside of the house? What part is the text?

Also, as I've read more 'critical' essays, or people's writing about blogs (because it can be done, contrary to my own experience) I've noticed that the people who write about it get defensive about what 'normal people' like mainstream journalist people, say about blogs and blogging because they don't know anything about it because they've never done it. I don't know how well that holds up... just because you haven't ever made a film doesn't mean that you can't say anything intelligent about movies. But I also kind of get the point because I don't think I really could have known what my project could/would be about before I started actively reading blogs, reading about blogs AND blogging at once. Are filmmakers better film critics? I guess criticism and being a critic aren't really the same thing, but you know what I mean.

No comments: